Eyebrow transplantation might net be very well-known since there several ways to increase the density of eyebrow like cosmetic pencils/ tattoo/ artificial hair, etc. But the eyebrow transplantation can be an option for the one who want the natural look especially in men who cosmetic or tattoo is not really appropriate.
The principle is to harvest the hair from the scalp and put the graft onto the eyebrow as needed.
The good conditions for eyebrow transplantation are as followings:
- The case of missing eyebrow. From trauma/disease
- The case of thin eyebrow, may be congenital/trauma/skin disease
- The case of previously tattooing and would like to add up the hair on top for better 3 dimensional feeling.
- The case of previously tattooing but do not satisfied and then has LASER removal and end up with eyebrow loss.
Picture illustration: The extracted piece of skin is divided into minor units from step to step.
Placing the graft onto the expected area in need.
The eyebrow transplantation is more like a scalp hair transplantation. However, the scar on the back is a lot less since we require only a small strip and small number of hair. The transplanted eyebrow can shade off within the first 2-3 weeks after surgery and regrow again after 3-4 months from returning to Anagen phase again.
- The transplanted eyebrow maintain the property of the hair on the scalp which will grow longer than the length of natural eyebrow. The patient has to trim off regularly.
- There may be some dandruff like scalp hair. The patient can use the antidandruff hair product.
- When the patient ages, there can be a chance that hair turn gray, like the donor hair. However, it may be up to 10-20 years to change.
The surgery is on the out-patient basis. The local anesthesia is required. The operative time is rely on the extension of the planted sites. The average time for surgery is 2-4 hours.The patient can be home afterward.
The transplanted eyebrow is dark initially due to scabs and bruised. At the second week, the scab are loosened and can be cleared after that. The shade of eyebrow will be fading with time.
Eyebrow transplantation instructions
1. Strenuous exercise should be limited at least 2 weeks. Any activity that create too much sweat should be refrained. The steam or sauna should be avoided at least 2 weeks.
2. Do not scrub or scratch on the transplanted site at least 48 hours. Wound clean can be starting in 24 hours with soft and gentle rinse with soap. The cleaning should be done 2 times a day. The donor site should be washing as well in the next day.
3. Use the ointment to moisten the transplanted site and tame the direction of the eyebrow. It can be starting after 48 hours and continue until 7-14 days.
4. The swelling can be seen in 2-3 days. Use the ice pack in the first 24 hours and upright position will help reduce the swelling.
5. Avoid drinking and smoking at least 48 hours.
6. There may be some stitches that need to remove in 5-7 days.
7. The hair dye and perm can be resumed after 4 weeks.
8. The trimming of the eyebrow can be starting after 2 weeks.